Monday, November 30, 2009

Tiger, perfection and the media

I really wanted Tiger to be perfect and untouched by all the dirty business of being rich, famous and perfect. I'm not sure why.

Maybe it's because he's an interracial guy in an interracial marriage dominating a sport he's not even supposed to be playing. He's defied the odds and I guess I hoped that would translate into his personal life.

I had the misfortune of watching some CNN over the weekend while the Tiger story was "breaking." I think what bothered me the most was not that Tiger might not be a perfect person, but that the media seemed to be taking great glee in the opportunity to tell the world about it.

Why was Tiger driving so late, they asked. Just think of the possibilities!

Anyway, here's an interesting blog post on the whole ordeal from Time's James Poniewozik.

No comments: