Sunday, January 16, 2011

On Sarah Palin, dingleberries and improving civil discourse

I think the President and my daughter were trying to teach me something this week.

First, it was the President with his perfect speech in Tucson. It reminded us all why he was the only choice two years ago and proved he's still got the right vision for this country -- no matter how difficult it will be to make a reality over the next six years.

Then, it was Sofia with her commentary on this morning's Meet the Press.

During a brief break from begging me to "turn on some kids' cartoons," she spotted some Sarah Palin b-roll.

Sofia: Hey, that's Sarah Palin.
Me: Yeah, she's a dingleberry.
Sofia: Why is she a dingleberry?
Me: Because she's stinky and not very smart.
Sofia: Pew!But, I think I like dingleberries a little bit.
Me: Why? They're so stinky.
Sofia: Well, I like their glasses.
Me: OK.

I may not like Sarah Palin's glasses, but I know a lot of very decent people who do. They're good, honest, hard-working Americans. I understand that their beliefs about her frames come from an earnest place. At the end of the day, we can respectfully disagree about the merits of her eyewear, but understand we must find some common ground to move this country forward. Afterall, we're all Americans.

Some of us just have perfect vision.

No comments: