Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Favorite Things 2008: Hi-Chew

I will never understand why the Japanese aren't fat.
They have the best video games, lots of crazy game shows, cartoons and scary movies to watch, and they are so technologically advanced that there's really no good reason to get off their tiny little couches.
Now, I find out about this, the tastiest candy I've had in a long time, Hi-Chew.
It's kind of like a Starburst, but way better. I really can't describe it, so I'll let the company's English website do the talking:

1) MEANING OF PRODUCT NAME "HI-CHEW":
Chewing candy with highly smooth texture
2) BRAND CONCEPT:
"Highly Smooth and Extra Juicy Chewing Candy"
3) FLAVOUR LINEUP:
Strawberry / Green apple / Grape / Mango / Lemon / Orange
4) BRAND HISTORY IN JAPAN:
Launched in 1975
Seasonal flavors launched about 3 times a year
5) SCENE TO EAT:
Anytime, anywhere to be refreshed
6) ADVANTAGE:
Juicy fruit flavor offers refreshment
Extra smooth texture offers quick eating at outdoor

At outdoor what, I'm not sure, but I think it works just as well indoors, too.
My wife brought some of the grape variety home from our local branch of the World Market and I've been enjoying its quick-eating ever since. At about $1 a pack, it ain't cheap, so enjoy it like you're a little Japanese schoolgirl, not a fat American.
For you vegetarians out there, the company's site also says the source of its extra chewy, super smooth gelatin is pig hide. Here's some other safety info from their FAQ:
How can I take off Hi-Chew sticking to my hair?
Major raw materials for Hi-Chew are glycogen (glucose syrup and sugar), hydrogenated palm kernel oil, and gelatin. It becomes soft when heated. Please take it off gently by having a shampoo or with a lukewarm wet tawol.
How can I take off Hi-Chew sticking to my clothes?
Major raw materials for Hi-Chew are glycogen (glucose syrup and sugar), hydrogenated palm kernel oil, and gelatin. It becomes soft when heated. Please take it off gently with a lukewarm wet tawol or wash in lukewarm water.

Also, stay away from the packs with a June 2009 expiration date. Apparently, those have been recalled because some customers found pieces of rubber invading the fruity goodness.
For more information, I recommend going to the company's main site, which has lots of cool mascots, and commercials like these:





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, whoa. Let's back it up to the insightful FAQ there. I thought the "tawol" treatment could be chalked up to some usual Engrish-typo weirdness, but thanks to some highly-efficient Q&A padding, we're treated to a copy-paste answer for said gum sticking to hair and clothes. "Tawol" appears twice, which has all of the phonetical sense of an lolcat.