Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Concert Series: Stevie Wonder

Maybe the greatest moment from Michael Jackson's memorial show Tuesday was Stevie Wonder's performance of "They Won't Go When I Go." It's such a great song and was a fitting sendoff for Michael by another former Motown prodigy with other-worldly talent.
While Michael owned the '80s with a mixture of groundbreaking pop music, dance and video, Stevie dominated the '70s with nothing but music, creating four masterpiece albums back-to-back -- Talking Book (1972), Innervisions (1973), Fulfillingness' First Finale (1974) and Songs in the Key of Life (1976) -- of which the last three won Grammys for Album of the Year.
I'll forever be proud to say the first concert I saw was Stevie Wonder in Iowa City on the In Square Circle Tour in 1985 or '86. I went with my mom and her best friend. It was unbelievable.
Here are some other great Stevie performances. You should watch them with your mama.









No comments: