Saturday, August 1, 2009

Newspapers

I bought a copy of The New York Times this morning for the first time in a long time. Paid $2 for it.
I read maybe five articles and felt pretty dumb.
In a front page article on high-level executives at GE and Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation brokering some kind of cease-fire between Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly, reporter Brian Stelter writes that O'Reilly "found his bĂȘte noire" in Olbermann. Back in "The Arts" section, I read a review of a Grace Jones concert in which writer Jon Caramanica remarked that "Ms. Jones is sui generis."
Could this be why newspapers are failing? As smart as I look toting around The New York Times and as much as I love fancy writing, if I have to log on to the internet to translate French and Latin phrases, I might as well just read the papers online for free.

No comments: