Friday, August 14, 2009

Panthers training camp

For years I've been wanting to go check out the Carolina Panthers at their training camp a half hour up the road in Spartanburg, but never made it.
I've been to plenty of football practices, both as a player (don't laugh, it's true) and a reporter, so I know what it smells like.
But even that couldn't keep me away today. I decided to spend my last morning on the unemployment rolls with the Panthers and it was pretty cool. I took my crappy little camera and got a few good shots, but the best part was my "conversation" with the best receiver in the NFL, Steve Smith.
Apparently, it was a surprise that he was even out on the field today after he was injured last week.
I'll tell the story now because I know over the years it will grow into an epic tale of how I taught Steve Smith how to juke a defender over a three-piece Bojangles combo meal.
My friend Mike and I were at the fence around the sideline when Smith came over right in front of us to grab a bottle of Gatorade. Everyone around us was quiet as he drank about half of it and dumped the rest on the ground.
My inner smart ass took over and I said, "Hey, Steve, c'mon we're thirsty here."
He looked at me and said, "What?"
"It's hot. How 'bout a Gatorade?"
He looked at my University of South Carolina T-shirt and said, "Not with that Gamecocks shirt on."
I stood there with a dumb look on my face.
"Nah, I'm just kidding," he said.
Whew.
So, no Gatorade, but Mike reminded me later that I did sort of get an apology from him. Last year, Smith had to apologize for punching one of his teammates and breaking his nose at training camp, so I was glad to get out of there with just a dumb look on my face.
Here are the pix, including Smith and the offending Gatorade:



No comments: