Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Favorite Things 2010

Favorite Meal
I'm definitely a creature of habit. If I go to a restaurant and like what I order, I'll order that same thing on every return visit for years. Too many times I've tried to be adventurous and switch up my order, only to be disappointed.

Fortunately, that's not the case with our friend Chin's restaurant, Sweet Basil. Everything they serve is dynamite, and if I can bring myself to venture away from my current standing order, whatever I select becomes my new favorite. It started with the green curry, moved on to the mussamun curry, and then the pad see-u. But in 2010, the new best meal at Sweet Basil or anywhere else in the greater Greenville area is the curry/green beans/red and green pepper/lime leaf stir fry, pad prik-king. It's fun to say and it will blow your effing socks off.

Favorite Scheme to Get Fit
Somehow I was able to convince Santa Claus that the only way I was going to get fit in 2011 was if he brought me an Xbox Kinect in November. So, he did, and now I have a chart to log the future hours I will spend sweating without a controller in my living room.

Although a month-long sinus infection has me off to a slow start, I remain hopeful primarily because of the genius game that is Dance Central.

I used to get frustrated that Dance Dance Revolution severely limited my talent on the dance floor because it simply measured whether you could step on the right buttons in a pre-determined rhythm. But now, thanks to the technology of Kinect and Dance Central, I'm finally able to use all of the vast tools with which I've been blessed to totally smoke the competition and garner accolades from the game's choreographer/hype man: "You got this on lock!" he frequently cheers while I try to keep my husky jeans from falling off my ass.

Using the Kinect motion-sensor camera, the game tracks how accurately you follow the choreography -- from the hands to the feet to the hips. Each of the 32 songs has different moves, which you learn in "Break It Down" mode. Once you've run through the steps, you put them all together and perform the song.

It's fun even to do the queeny dances to the Lady Gaga, but what makes the game great is the awesome soundtrack selections. All of those hours spent in the early '90s dancing to Bell Biv DeVoe's "Poison" and Wreckx-n-Effect's "Rump Shaker" have finally paid off for me.

Another important feature for professional dudes like me is the freestyle breaks included in each song, where you get to break loose and shake it while the Kinect camera records video of you for everyone to admire, study and/or laugh at. I would share some of me droppin' it like it's hot, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Here's one of Ellen:


No comments: